Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The Radio Fix

I finally got ahold of my old friend Adam Newport last night via AIM. I got his screenname from Chad Hughes, a mutual friend, and we talked for about half an hour catching up. Adam and I used to have English class and lunch period together our junior and senior years of high school. We both fawned over the same girl, Michelle Valentine Boling, who used to represent (to us, at least) the pinnacle of beauty, grace, and femininity. (Luckily I got to star with Michelle AND Keisha Boyd, another hottie, in our junior-year play, Gammer Gurton's Needle...)

Anyway, Adam used to play bass in the first Rhea County High School rock band to invade downtown Chattanooga, The Sullivans. Dave Phillips, the son of a bible college philosophy professor and my perennial nemesis when it came to women, sang and played acoustic guitar; my good friend, Jim Barnett, played electric guitar; and Jamie Smith, the captain of the drum squad, played, appropriately enough, drums. The Sullivans were heavily influenced by bands like The Smiths, New Order, Lush, Suede, Starflyer 59, etc. Kinda pseudo-Brit shoegazer rock. Adam Newport and I helped organize their last show ever at the Bryan College chapel, Rudd Auditorium, in Dayton, Tennessee. It was a benefit show for the Women's Care Center (a non-profit pro-life organization in Dayton, where confused or troubled pregnant women could receive Christian aid and counseling.) The five of us even appeared on the Dayton radio station to promote the event. We were able to convince a few other bands to show up, namely Title One and Annie. I had to give a speech about the perils of premarital sex during the intermission... I was never afraid to speak in front of the public before, but something told me I shouldn't have been the one up on stage talking...

But anyway... Adam's been in a succession of pretty talented bands since then: Limousine, fronted by Miss Tennessee, 1997; Yellow No. 5; Squiggly Line and Ball; and now The Radio Fix. You can listen to one of there songs here. Right now the current line up is Adam Newport, Michael Gordon, Glen Hentz, and Nathan Zensen. All old friends from high school. Listen to their song and tell me what you think. I'm sure they'd love the feedback. And if you're in the 423 area, they're playing a show at the Lion's Den at Bryan College on November 19th. Go check 'em out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy Boy -
Didn't know you had a crush on Michele Boling -
Love
Keisha

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter