Sunday, October 31, 2004

Don't Let the Fire Die

423 Board[ Post a Response 423 Board ]
Re: This Forum Is Officially Dead.......................................................................
Posted by Bill Heaning on 10/31/2004, 2:41 am, in reply to "This Forum Is Officially Dead......................................................................."
64.136.26.228

You know, that's really sad, because I check this board almost every week hoping to see a post from Beau, you, Chad, or Robby.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can remember when Dayton and Chattanooga had some pretty thriving scenes. From '96 to '98 it seemed like there were a dozen awesome bands and at least one good show a week.

Blue Angel, Something Different, Lamar's, the Wolf Creek Fire Hall, the Dayton Armory, Market Street Bridge, and various parks and churches throughout the 423 area. Smack Driven Driver, Title One, The Sullivans/Limosine, Yellow No. 5, The Hobbits, Unforgiven, Annie, and all of Chad and Robby's respective hardcore-straight edge bands (Shimron Meron, Rifles at Recess, and now the late Never Stop the Fight).

And if it wasn't a music show, it was coffee, cigarettes, and weed at Killroy's, Mudpie, Frontier House, and the Red Bank Waffle House. Or a sketch comedy performance at Barking Legs Theater by the Banana Pirates.

Everyone seemed to know everyone else. Everybody was a musician, a writer, a painter, a dancer, a photographer. We were all ARTISTS. We were young and we were CREATING. I couldn't play a single note on any instrument of any kind... so I wrote. Poems, stories, screenplays. It's what I did. It wasn't all that different from what you guys were doing at the time, too. It was all art.

Fast-forward six years later. I'm in Ohio, I haven't spoken to Chad in a year (I've desperately tried contacting him but I can never reach him), and the scene has entirely dried up.

What went wrong, people? Why did everything implode? Each and every one of you 423-friends, Chad, Chris, Beau, Robby, Daniel, you all have major talent. You all may hate Dayton, Tennessee, and Chattanooga, even. But guys, let me tell you: there's something there, an energy, a creative spark, just waiting to light up. All it takes to fan it into a conflagration is a little bit of unity and vision.

I wish I were still in Tennessee. I wish I were still living in Dayton. I would rally behind each and every one of you and pour as much time and effort as I could into seeing Dayton and Chattanooga catch on fire... all because of a coupla kids in Dayton. There's a Movement waiting to happen... waiting on you guys.

Don't let this forum die. Make it a Base of Operations.

423 will rise again.

Bill

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, nice to see someone actually remembers the Banana Pirates, let alone rememebr them fondly. I'm curious, how many of our shows did you go to?

collinwk

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter