Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I Voted Today

I even got my little sticker.

It's funny... it took about 2 minutes. The first page was a list of the current incumbent and his major opposition. There were a few names I didn't recognize, parties I'd never even heard of before. How little informed I truly am. I noticed Ralph Nader's name and the Green Party were blanked out with a white sticker. Did he drop out? I toyed with the thought of voting for him in 2000, but I'm glad I didn't. Everyone told me I would've been voting for Bush. Not that I enjoy hearing people tell me my vote doesn't count, but I can follow the logic.

I just moved to Ohio in February of '04, so I have no clue who any of the people were that I voted for. I just picked the democratic candidate when there was a choice, and then I picked the woman if there was a female candidate. I don't know why. I just have this image of stuffy old white Puritan men as politicians. Women are soft, warm, cuddly, and they smell good. They can be bitches sometimes, but men can be even bigger assholes, so it's about even. A lot of people running for the school board or county positions were unchallenged. There wasn't even a choice, so I just poked the little hole beside their names.

I can't say I fully understand why I voted the way I did. I feel like I'm not sufficiently versed in either of their platforms, or where they stand on certain issues. I tried to follow as closely as possible, but in the end I voted the way most Ohio educators are going to vote (supposedly): for the candidate with the best educational policies and reforms. Terrorism, the war on Iraq, the economy, all of these things are important to all of us as a whole, but I don't agree with Bush on some of the issues. But hey, that's the beauty of a democratic society: it doesn't matter who you vote for -- that's your choice. What does matter is that you actually get out there and vote. Otherwise you have no right to complain when shit hits the fan.

Kyle and Cartman put it best: in the end, it always comes down to a choice between a giant douchebag, or a turd sandwich. Take your pick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter