Monday, January 03, 2005

I'm sorry I waited so long to post. Gosh.

Napolean Dynamite.

I rented this movie last night. Ingenious hilarity. Just looking at him made me laugh. His voice alone... gut-busting.

I couldn't determine if he was mentally retarded or not. He seemed normal enough. Incredibly awkward, but normal.

His obsession with "numchucks" and "secret ninja moves from the government" echoed my own 7th-grade obsession with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Masaaki Hatsumi, 56th Grandmaster of the Frisco Ninja Clan. At one point in my youth I struck up a correspondence with him. In return I received free pamphlets of timeless ninja wisdom.

For example, to tell if a distant enemy is approaching or retreating, hold up two fingers in the "I'm squishing your head" position. If the tiny figure of your distant enemy rises upwards towards your top finger, he is retreating. If the figure descends towards your lower finger, he is approaching, and it's time to flee...

As for Pedro, with his Speedy Gonzales voice, catatonic stare, and greasy moustache... We all knew the one kid in high school who had a full-blown moustache. Or beard. Or goatee. Whatever. In sixth grade it was this 130 lb kid named Brad. To this day my mental image of him is this thirty-year-old hairy dude who reminded me of Ray Stanz. He disrespected my grandmother one afternoon in gym and I slammed my palm into his chest. The kid flew backwards at least fifteen feet, which blew my mind because he was twice my size; he staggered up and clutched his chest in pain. I felt bad, because I hurt the school freak.

Remind me to tell you guys about Sammy Williams.

The move looks like it's set in 1980-something. The haircuts, the clothes, the sets... What's it called when something from the future appears out-of-time in a story? Like a telephone in Charles Dicken's England... Something out of place historically in a story... There's a literary term for it. This is embarrasing, because I'm an English major and I can't think of the damn term...

[EDIT: 1/4/05. The word is anachronism. Thanks, Matt.]

The point is, the movie bridges on fantasy because there are several allusions to things that definitely originated in the 90's. For example, Napolean's dissing his 32-year-old quasi-gay brother, who retorts with, "Don't be jealous of me because I've been chatting online with hot chicks all day." (Even more hilarious because the brother is Andrew/Trudy Wigel's serial killer lover from Reno 911).

Repeated references to "e-mail" and "cyberspace" would seem to place this movie somewhere between '92 and '94 (even a Backstreet Boys song makes a sign-language-montage appearance)... but the costumes and sets and hairdos are straight out of '86 . I don't think this is a bad thing. It reminds me of the early American literature I studied in 11th grade English. And Austin, Texas, '89.

Napolean himself... The kid's so damn pitiful he's borderline hysterical. No... he's over the borderline... "What are you drawing?" a shy, nerdy, yet interested girl asks him on the school steps. "A liger," he replies. "It's a cross between a lion and a tiger. It's like only my favorite animal to draw, ever. It's even greater than the tigron in its magical abilities."

Or when the same girl shows up at his house selling glamour portraits and friendship bracelets door-to-door. "Would you like to buy a bracelet? It's a must for this season's fashion."

"Uh, like no, we made a hundred of those at Scout camp this summer."

If you haven't seen Napolean Dynamite yet... Rent it. The movie's flippin' hilarious. Full of sweet moves. Gosh.

On another note, I'm having nightmares again. They're not your typical nightmares, but they're greatly disturbing to me. It's my subconscious blatantly smacking my nose to get my attention. I guess I haven't progressed as far as I thought... She keeps commandeering my thoughts, like some kinda mutant telepath.

Well, listen here, Powder, I don't like having my mind seized by past memories. Let me let go... I don't know how much this heart of mine can swell before it bursts...

In a self-destructive way, I want you to call me....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter