Monday, February 28, 2005

Inanities...

I bought my first CD in a while. I don't get a chance to purchase many luxury items (clothes, CDs, DVDs, gadgets, etc.), so this was a big deal for me.

It was my second foray into the mall, this time flanked by my sister and three-year-old neice. I managed to stick to the music store, and I searched the aisles for Jet's "Get Born". They only had an import for $23.99. No freakin' way. So I found The Killers' "Hot Fuss" on sale for $12.99 and bought it, instead. I made a good purchase.

The only way I can describe the Killers is by amalgamating The Cure, New Order, and The Smiths with Orgy (whatever happened to them?) and maybe a pinch of indie arena rock. They use that really catchy "bass-as-lead-guitar" sound that New Order and The Cure pioneered so well. Even the lead singer's voice reminds me of Robert Smith and Morrisey. If you like that kind of music, I suggest you listen to them; I think you'd like them. The CD package had a sticker with the word "Grammy" slapped across it, so they're industry-approved. Besides, "Somebody Told Me" is my current cell-phone ring-tone.

However... If you're looking for the greatest love-and-heart-break albums of all time, ever, then check out The Cure's albums, "Disintegration" and "Wish". If you've ever loved a girl in high school or had your heart nuked to dust... Robert Smith knows... and he understands...

...

God said not to covet. But I'm a sinner.

The 120' roll of Teletype paper that contains Jack Kerouac's original manuscript for On the Road is still on tour. He wrote the entire novel in a 3-week creative binge using nothing but a giant roll of paper (so he "wouldn't have to waste time changing the page").

It's currently being displayed at Iowa State University. Word to the General: If you're anywhere near this exhibition, you'd go and visit for me. Just for me. For nothing and no one else but me. If I can never see it for myself... At least you can...

It's being displayed in one long glass case that contains the entire length of the manuscript. Supposedly the last "page" was chewed off by a dog. Heh.

My best friend Adam White got to view this utterly priceless piece of treasure in D.C. (I think it was D.C.) For that I'm also guilty of incredible envy.

I would walk 500 hundred miles, and I would walk 500 hundred more, just to be the man who walked 1,000 miles and viewed the f*cking manuscript to On the Road.

Sha-da-da-da, indeed.

...

Learning what a girl likes or dislikes in the first couple of phone conversations is really difficult. Especially when you tend to over-analyze everything and talk a mile a minute. Jebus, help me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choice on your cd purchase. I've listened to that album many many many times. I especially enjoy the American version of the Mr. Brightside video. I used to listen to the smiths a lot several years back and in the same great heartbending style another smith has impressed me very much. Elliott Smith, his life was ended pre-maturely when his girlfriend stabbed him a couple years back but the few albums he made while he was alive are solid gold heartaches. Do yourself a favor & give him a listen if you ever get the chance. My fav albums are "Either/Or" & "From a basement on a hill". Take care man,
Bradley

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter