Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Restaurant Etiquette

I'm a server for Outback Steakhouse. I like it there, it's fun. My co-workers are great and I really enjoy what I do.

But every server will tell you, there are some things that grate on our nerves more than other things.

Here are my pet peeves as a server:

1) ignoring the server. Do you know how many times I've approached a table, introduced myself, delivered my spiel, and offered an appetizer, only to hear crickets chirping in response? I'm squatting there, at eye level, and all everybody's doing is looking at their menus. Silence. I repeat myself politely. "Would you care for an appetizer? Or maybe a draft beer or margarita from the bar?" Still, silence... "Coke? Tea? Water with lemon?" Still, nothing. And it continues throughout the dining experience. When I bring out the food and ask everybody how it looks and I still get silence, it's like, Ok, assholes. If you're going to act like I'm not even there, I'll act like you're not even there. And so they get shitty service. I'm a human being, treat me like one. I'm serving you. I'm performing a service for you. I'm not a slave. If you act like I'm beneath you simply because I'm taking your order and turning it in to a kitchen, then I'll make sure you get the absolute bare minimum of service possible from me. Treat me with an ounce of respect and I'll take care of you like you were the Godfather. Petty, I know, but it all hinges on respect.

2) interrupting your server. Case in point: I approach a table. "Hi, thanks for coming to Outback. My name's Billy, I'll be your server toda--"
"Unsweet tea, diet coke, and a blooming onion."
If I get interrupted like that, I completely ignore the person and finish my introduction. I offer them drinks from the bar and suggest a blooming onion or some coconut shrimp. I already know what they want, but damn, do NOT interrupt a man when he's introducing himself to you. Even if it's part of his job. Decency, decency.

3) drinking your drink too fast. ARGH! This one drives me absolutely nuts. There's no reason, no reason whatsoever, for a single person to drink 9 unsweet teas in the space of thirty-five minutes. NO REASON. We're in Ohio, man. The highest daily temperature average is 55 degrees! Are you really that thirsty? The same goes with kids. PARENTS: If you're at a restaurant and your 8-year-old is sucking down his drinks without stopping to take a breath, TAKE HIS DRINK AWAY FROM HIM. ARGH! I can already feel the blood vessels popping...

4) talking on your cell phone when the server approaches you to take your order. It's simple, people. You came to the restaurant to eat, not to talk on the phone. If you DO need to talk on the phone, wait until AFTER you've ordered your meal before talking. Oherwise wait until after the food has come out. While you're sitting there chit-chatting with Aunt Tilly about what you're taking to the Pot Luck on Sunday, I'm waiting for you to order. It's not like I don't have two other tables of people who need my attention...

Not tipping, or not tipping enough, is bad. But the above? Nothing is more irritating.

3 Comments:

Blogger under the red sky said...

...a view from the other side...thanks! But hey what about when I go to a resteraunt and the server doesn't even offer a refill. I pay like 3 bucks for a 20 oz glass of soda and I have to beg for a refill...but I am sure you are not like that. Or are you?

2:28 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

No. I'm not like that. I'm keen on "silent service"... That is, if I see your mug is half empty, I go and get you a new one. If you're almost out of Bloom sauce but you've still got a lot of Onion, I quietly go and get you more. You shouldn't have to ask me for stuff like that. Any server worth his salt should be able to anticipate his tables' needs. And like I said... you treat me like you would any other person who's at their job and I'll treat you like you're Don Corleone.

10:46 AM  
Blogger SweetT said...

What if a 'cream-filled croissant' rattles the ice in her glass and smiles? lol

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter