Wednesday, December 01, 2004

God Gave Rock and Roll To You

I've got an itch for some good old-fashioned rock n' roll, and I'm bored with my CD collection. I found my Rock Anthems compilation from Entertainment Weekly, but there was only Disc 2 -- the bad one. Disc 1 had all the good songs on it, like All Right Now (Free), Sweet Home Alabama (Skynyrd), American Woman (The Guess Who), Ramblin' Man (Allman Brothers), Horse With No Name (America), and Radar Love (Golden Earring). There's some Robert Palmer, Boston, and Rick Derringer on there, too, but I always skip over those songs.

But Disc 1's gone... lost forever.

Every once in a while I'll get this sound in my head, a type of music that I want to hear, and I know bands out there are making that kind of music, but I don't know where to find their records. This happened about six months ago with my electro itch. I had just gotten the latest Joy Electric CD and it contained a pretty raw remix by Norway of "We Are Rock", stripped down to a real chopped up break-beat, low rumbling bass, and vocoder. I loved it. Then one day I heard a song-snippet during a musical segueway on MTV, and the clip sounded a lot like the Joy Electric remix. I did a little research and found out the clip was from a song called "Emerge" by Fischerspooner. I did a little more research on-line and read about a few other bands. I went out a few days later and purchashed CDs from Ladytron and Felix Da Housecat & Thee Glitz, feat. Miss Kittin. These were the bands I was looking for.

But now I'm itching for some rock n' roll. Brad Kelly, a friend of mine, suggested Jet and The Killers. I've heard a few Jet songs, and I knew I liked them, but I didn't know the name of the band. When I went to their website and listened to their audio clips, I found exactly what I was looking for! I think it was a Jet song that actually got me onto this kick, even though I didn't know the name of the band at the time. So thanks, Brad, for solving that mystery! I've never heard The Killers, though, but he recommends them, so I'll try them out. I also thought about getting the Velvet Revolver album, too.

As well as Van Halen's greatest hits, and a new copy of Rock Anthems!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter