Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Circle is Now Complete

It's taken almost thirty years to tell the tale... the whole tale. Six films to complete the most ambitious film project ever conceived.

If you're a girl, or if you haven't seen the latest -- and last -- Star Wars film, you might want to jet now, because I'm about to enter official Geek mode.

SPOILERS GALORE AHEAD!

Speechless. For once I am left speechless.

After seeing this movie, I forgive George Lucas for anything he might have done wrong in Episodes I and II.

There's really nowhere to start, nowhere to begin. The original Star Wars trilogy was the first series of movies I consciously remember watching as a child. By the time I was six I knew almost every line by heart. I had the toys (I used to tie firecrackers to them and freeze them in cups of ice); me and my friends played make-believe (while everyone else argued over who got to be Luke Skywalker, I simply leaned back and twirled my blaster... I was Han Solo); I even read the books (ah, the Thrawn trilogy). Star Wars is permanently ingrained into my psyche. It is a part of me. And it's the same with guys like me everywhere, between the ages 25-40. It came to us during a time in our young lives when we lusted for adventure, and the Star Wars movies delivered and then some. The movies had everything: the archetypal heroes and villains; cool robots; laser guns, lightsabres, space ships and aliens. It was the battle of good vs. evil on a galactic scale.

I was a little disappointed with Episodes I and II. There were a lot of good parts, but there were a lot of bad parts, too. In all I enjoyed them, but they just didn't have the "feel" of Star Wars. I believe if George Lucas handed the reigns over to another scriptwriter and director, we'd have three totally different movies... probably better movies. As it is, though, Lucas pulled a rabbit out of his hat with Episode III. I left the theater feeling a certain finality, mixed with a little sadness. I mean, it was the end... the END... of Star Wars. That was it. The story had been told. But at the same time I had that final sense of closure, you know... now you know the whole tale in its entirety. All the secrets had been revealed. I thought it was the perfect ending for such an amazing modern myth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter