Friday, June 24, 2005

Bats, Bats, and More Bats

No, guys, I haven't given up on the blog. I know a lot of you are probably wondering where I've been, but I've already given my excuse: two jobs, no time. And when I do have time, I'd rather sit and do nothing than type on the computer. But I've seen how woefully barren the past two months have been, so I've decided to post an entry. It may be a little scattershot, but at least it's something for you minions to read, isn't it?

My new job at The Winds is fantastic. My second paycheck was for four-hundred and thirty three clams! That's the biggest paycheck I've had in... probably eight years. Of course I signed it right over to Maleea, but it's eased the tension around here a little bit. The cafe itself is unbelievably cool... it's like bohemian fine dining, if you can picture that... I may post next month's menu for everybody to read... if you can decipher the French and Italian. During these past four weeks I've learned more about wine and cheese and bread and everything else European than I did throughout all of high school and most of college.

And the employees there are unbelievabely cool... I can only describe them as subterraneans (a la Kerouac)... or angel-headed hipsters of the night, maybe? I feel less than adequate because I'm neither covered in tattoos and piercings nor overtly bohemian in appearance and style.

I have a crush on one of the cooks, this gorgeous redhead named Katie. She has the most soft, tender, womanly voice. Not to mention the fact that's she's covered in tattoos... All down her arms, her back, her chest... Any woman who can sit through that many tattoos is tough, no doubt about it. It makes me painfully aware of my inkless body. I've always wanted the 1960's Bat-symbol tattooed across my back, ever since I was old enough to get tattoos... but tats are expensive, and anytime I've ever had enough money to afford one, there's always been something else more important to buy (or at least spend the money on). So I'm a little wary to approach her. Surely she's attracted to tougher, scruffier men... Which is an experience I've dealt with in the past (and not one I particularly enjoyed... but I won't go there...)

Speaking of Bat-symbols... I've seen the new Batman movie three times now. I can't help it. I've been waiting for this movie to come out for almost four years... I mean, I looked forward to it even more than Episode III. And man, was the movie fantastic. It delivered on every level: psychological, action, intrigue, moodiness, etc. It's the darkest, grittiest Batman movie ever, even more so than the first Michael Keaton/Tim Burton film (which will always hold a special place in my heart). It has nothing in common with the last movie in the series, that pathetic piece of cinema trash that doesn't even deserve mention, much less a name.

Christian Bale nails the Bruce Wayne/Batman personalities on the head. The first hour of the film is almost all Bruce Wayne (Batman doesn't make an appearance until little over half-way into the movie), so Bale had to make Wayne an interesting character to watch, and he succeeds, wildly. The story sets up enough conflict outside of the Bat-suit to keep you paying attention; it makes you sympathize, and even empathize, with Bruce Wayne. He's a tortured soul who, after confronting the past, must learn to deal with his pain, guilt, and anger.

If you ever watched the other Batman films and wondered, "How and where does he get all those gadgets? Who made the Batcave?" then this movie answers those questions. It's not like Bruce Wayne called in a bunch of contractors and had them build it... What kind of secret would that be? We see the entire universe of the Batman grow from the ground up. Everything is explained: the suit, the gadgets, the cave, the Batmobile... and most of all... the inspiration...

The villains are handled perfectly, too. They're not over-the-top, and they don't overshadow our hero. Dr. Jonathan Crane (played by Cillian Murphey, from 28 Days Later), who later becomes the Scarecrow, manages to come across as creepy, especially when using his special panic-inducing "fear toxin". And there's a twist with the immortal eco-terrorist, Ra's Al Ghul (credited as Ken Watanabe, from The Last Samurai), that makes for a delicious surprise near the end.

Michael Caine (Gods and Monsters) is an excellent Alfred Pennyworth, but his cockney accent took some getting used to. Gary Oldman IS Lt. James Gordon, hands down. He was born to play the role. Morgan Freeman is also perfectly cast as Wayne Enterprises employee, Lucius Fox. The only character I didn't care much for is the only one who never appeared in the comics, and that's Katie Holmes (she plays Rachel Dawes, asst. D.A. and childhood sweetheart of Bruce Wayne). She's just too cute and apple-cheeked to be in this movie. Every time I see her all I can think about is "Dawson's Creek".

Anyway, I could write a dissertation on the many psychological and sociological facets of the Batman mythos, but I'll spare you all the geek-talk. Just believe me when I say this is a mature film, dark and brooding, meant for adults (it's definitely NOT a kid's film).

I cannot stress this enough: GO SEE BATMAN BEGINS!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where have you gone? :(

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter